B.Sc., University of Waterloo
Ph.D., University of Ottawa
(See Contact Us for mailing address and other contact information)
Additional Selected Current Appointments:
- Co-Lead of the IRIDA (Integrated Rapid Infectious Disease Analysis) Project.
- Co-Director, SFU/UBC/BCCA Bioinformatics Graduate Training Program.
- Member, Genome Canada Board of Directors
- Research Director, Bioinformatics, for the Genome Canada Watershed Metagenomics Project.
- Coordinator of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa Community Annotation Project and Pseudomonas Genome Database.
- SFU representative for the Canadian Society of Microbiologists.
- A participant in IRMACS (Interdisciplinary Research in the Mathematical and Computational Sciences).
- Member of the Editorial Boards of PeerJ and Database (Oxford Univ Press)
Teaching (past and present):
- Co-Director, SFU-UBC Bioinformatics Graduate Program
- Faculty for the Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops (www.bioinformatics.ca)
- MBB 841/741 and MBB 441 (Bioinformatics)
- MBB505 (Problem Based Learning in Bioinformatics)
- MBB342 (Introductory Genomics and Bioinformatics)
- MBB222 (Molecular Biology and Biochemistry)
Registered students of any of these courses: See canvas.sfu.ca for course resources, notes, etc.
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (2014)
- Women’s Executive Network – Canada’s Top 100 – Trendsetters and Trailblazers (2009)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Scholar (2007-2012)
- Canadian Society of Microbiologists Fisher Scientific Award (2007)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research New Investigator (2005-2010)
- Canadian Who’s Who (2005)
- Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 (2003)
- Innovation and Science Council of British Columbia (now the BC Innovation Council) Young Innovator Award (2003)
- TR100 “World’s Top 100 Young Innovators” by MIT’s Technology Review panel (2002)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar (2001-2006)
(note: my name changed from Lawson to Brinkman in 1997)
- Use a search of PubMed/Medline to view a list of some publications (plus some additional computer science-oriented publications can be viewed through a CS biblography)
- National Institutes of Health
- Genome Canada
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- SFU Community Trust Endowment Fund
- Indel Therapeutics