B.Sc., University of Waterloo
Ph.D., University of Ottawa
(See Contact Us for mailing address and other contact information)
Additional Selected Current Appointments:
- Co-Director, SFU/UBC Bioinformatics Graduate Training Program.
- Co-Lead of the IRIDA (Integrated Rapid Infectious Disease Analysis) Project and Consortium.
- Member, Genome Canada Board of Directors
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Board, European Nucleotide Archive, EMBL-EBI
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, REACTOME
- Coordinator of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa Community Annotation Project and Pseudomonas Genome Database.
- Co-PI, Leadership Working Group, and Founding Member, GenEpiO (Genomic Epidemiology Ontology) Consortium, and FoodOn (Food Ontology) Group
- Core Faculty Member, Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops
- SFU representative for the Canadian Society of Microbiologists.
Teaching (past and present):
- Canadian Bioinformatics Workshops select courses (www.bioinformatics.ca)
- MBB 841/741 and MBB 441 (Bioinformatics)
- MBB505 (Problem Based Learning in Bioinformatics)
- MBB342 (Introductory Genomics and Bioinformatics)
- MBB222 (Molecular Biology and Biochemistry)
Registered students of any of these courses: See canvas.sfu.ca for course resources, notes, etc.
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2018)
- Thomson Reuters “World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds” and Highly Cited Researcher (2014)
- Women’s Executive Network – Canada’s Top 100 – Trendsetters and Trailblazers (2009)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Scholar (2007-2012)
- Canadian Society of Microbiologists Fisher Scientific Award (2007)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research New Investigator (2005-2010)
- Canadian Who’s Who (2005)
- Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 (2003)
- Innovation and Science Council of British Columbia (now the BC Innovation Council) Young Innovator Award (2003)
- TR100 “World’s Top 100 Young Innovators” by MIT’s Technology Review panel (2002)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar (2001-2006)
(note: my name changed from Lawson to Brinkman in 1997)
- Use a search of PubMed/Medline to view a list of some publications (plus some additional computer science-oriented publications can be viewed through a CS biblography)
- Genome Canada
- National Institutes of Health
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research